Wednesday 12 June 2013

Baby Play: Water Play

Make a water tray for your baby to play with once they are able to sit up in high chair or Bumbo. Great for encouraging your baby to explore and interact!


With the weather improving I have been trying to get the whole family out side to get more fresh air. Tinnie has been loving this and it has been a perfect opportunity to get him involved in some more sensory play activities. I thought that since he has a real love for baths we would start off trying water play. 


I set up the water tray by using a cat litter tray (don't panic this is brand new and I do not own any cats). I filled the tray with warm water and changed the colour with food colouring. As you can see I added balls to the water for Tinnie the move around and try to catch using both hands. 


I expected that Tinnie would be splashing like crazy as soon as I placed him in front of the tray. This was not the case as he was more interested in the grass surrounding him. When starting to try activities like this with babies its quite a good idea to sit at their level and support them in exploring the sensory material. I splashed the water and little and moved the balls from side to side. This encouraged Tinnie to do the same he began to move his hands under the water from side to side. 

Links to EYFS for 0-11 mths

Personal, Social and Emotional Development- 
Laughs and gurgles
Shows a range of emotions such as pleasure, fear and excitement

Physical Development- 
Makes movements with arms and legs which gradually become more controlled

Understanding of the World
Repeats actions that have an effect, e.g. kicking or hitting a mobile or shaking a rattle


2 comments:

  1. Fun fun!! I will be sharing my own post of my son's water play activity, too! Ha!! I'll be sharing your link in my post : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'd love to read it. We are sharing a hand painting activity this week. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...