Tuesday 23 July 2013

Childminding: Tips for your inspection


Over the last few years I have tried to document on the blog my experience as a childminder. One thing I may not have written about is that as a childminder in the UK you must be registered Ofsted. This involves an inspection roughly every few years to assess the quality of care and education your setting offers the children you look after. 

Just before going on maternity I had my first inspection. I was very nervous on the lead up to the inspection as I was given 3 weeks notice due to the inspectors and my children's holiday falling at the same time. You would think this is a good thing yes? It's really not, this meant I spent the 3 weeks leading up to the inspection over planning, checking policies, researching and moving the furniture around. By the time my inspection came I was shattered and just needed to get it over and done with.  

The inspector spent most of the day with us and she was lovely. After observing my practice, looking through all my paper work and evidence I was given a 'Good' and I was happy with this as it was my first inspection. I was relieved! Regardless of your result you are given you will always receive some thing to work on. This is because even if your setting is regarded as Outstanding you should be reflecting on and improving your practice.



So what advice can I give? 

  • Make sure you have all your paper work ready. This will save you having to leave the children and stop the inspector from missing any thing you would like them to see. 
  • Your inspector should ask you to have id ready to show her before starting the inspection but it is just as important that you ask them for ID before you let them enter your home/setting. 
  • Sell your self- The inspector can only judge you on what she see's or hears. Tell her how good your practice is and drop in a few comments on things you love to do with the children that she may not see on the day. 
  • Photo's make great evidence. I have just started to keep a photo and art scrap book of all the great things we do. If you have permission from the parents this would also make a great thing to show new parents hoping to start with you. This can be pricey but I think it is worth it. 
  • Keep paper work to a minimum. Ofsted want to see that you know what you are doing but not that you are spending more time filling out paper work then with the children. 
  • Relax, remember you do what you do for the children in your care not for Oftsed and you'll be fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...