Monday 7 July 2014

Shape Sticking Bicycles

With the Tour De France now visiting the UK I have tried to introduce this into the children's planning. We are lucky that they will be coming close to our town and had I of thought of it I could have taken them but never mind. Instead we have been decorating our own bikes at home using shapes. 


Step 1. I started off the activity by drawing a bike which would show clear shapes ( I asked one of the toddlers what it was and they recognised the drawing as a bike).


Step 2. I then scanned and printed this onto coloured paper and cut out the shapes placing them spread out on the table.


Step 3.  Allow the children to place glue on the paper while also looking out for the matching shapes. 

The children loved making their own bikes and it was a quick enough activity that they were keen to make a few, great for reinforcing the language they had just learnt or supporting their hand eye coordination. L surprised me will good knowledge of where each piece needed to go. However he loves to do puzzles so I think this may be why. 

With older children the activity gave us the opportunity to look at the shapes, colours and also count objects. We discussed the Tour De France and switched the TV on to watch a bit afterwards before going out side and riding the trikes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...