Monday 29 April 2013

Saving for a rainy day, why is it necessary?

When I was younger my opinion was always to live in the now and enjoy your money while you can. We would spend our money on days out, take-away's and clothes. To be honest my view hadn't really changed until Little Man was born and we decided I would be come a stay at home mum. By then it was really too late we had no savings and had to manage just on hubby's wages every month regardless of any hiccups along the way. Looking back even now I am disgusted at the amount of money we wasted when putting the money in a cash isa would have meant that we now could have been a lot more comfortable now or in the distant future as we have not even started a pension yet. 

In a few months time I am planning to return to the world of working in childcare and I plan to use our money a lot more sensibly. My main priorities is to start the children on swimming lessons, open a cash isa so we have some saving should we need it and save for a mortgage

Looking back at how we used our money has made me think about the children and after a chat with hubby we have started to give them pocket money. This pocket money is earned by simply doing a chore or two a day, such as making their bed or clearing the table for tea. They will then be encouraged to use this money to save it up in their money box for a toy they would like to buy. The idea behind it of course is to teach them the value of money, with hope that when they get older they will continue to understand this and maybe even continue to save their money for a rainy day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...