Thursday 27 June 2013

Baby Play: Sensory Socks

Lurking some where in every ones home there is a moster hiding. He may only be small and he may like to live underneath your bed or in a cupboard but there is one thing for sure this monster loves to eat socks!! Yeap I'm pretty sure every mum will admit that they have a collecting of odd  children's sock no matter how hard they try to keep the socks together!! If you have odd socks then here's an activity for you. 

Whether it's in the home or even an Early Years setting it help's to find activity ideas you can do with the children which does not cost through the roof. Using materials and resources from around the home are a great way to save money and this is why treasure baskets are so popular.


Back in my nursery days I used to love making sensory socks. They would cost very little and would dry out well if dribbled on but could easily be replaced when needed. Great for babies or children with special needs I would recommend you give this one a try.

Resources:
Odd Socks
Rice
Herb's, lavender or grind from lemon/ orange.
Needle and thread

Step 1: 
Fill the sock half way with rice.


Step 2:
Add the herb or scent of your choice.

Step 3: 
Continue to fill the sock with rice until you are 1-2 cm's from the top. If you are using a large sock like in my picture you may choose to only fill it half way and cut off the top.

Step 4:
Turn the sides of the sock inward and sew the sides together. This does not need to be neat as long as it's secure to avoid the rice becoming a choking hazard.

Step 5: 
Move the rice around inside the sock to help spread the scent.




Tinnie had great fun with these socks we filled each with a different herb and most he seemed to enjoy. This time round we tried Lavender, Thyme, Mint, Chives and Sage.

Links to EYFS for 0-11 mths

Personal, Social and Emotional Development- 
Laughs and gurgles
Shows a range of emotions such as pleasure, fear and excitement

Physical Development- 
Makes movements with arms and legs which gradually become more controlled
Reaches out for, touches and begins to hold objects

Understanding of the World
Repeats actions that have an effect, e.g. kicking or hitting a mobile or shaking a rattle

20 comments:

  1. This is great! I wouldn't have thought about using socks. This is perfect sensory for a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel its something we tried back in my nursery days :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you linked this to the pin it party. I saw it earlier but couldn't remember where so am so glad have found it. I never really did any of this with my first child and really wish I had so have started a pin-it board, baby-crafty-craftiness, for when number two arrives. Have pinned to this and to our main pin it party board. Great idea :) http://pinterest.com/jbmumofone/boards/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pinning it for me :0)

      Delete
  4. Great idea and no much cheaper than bought toys! Popping over from parenting pin it party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used odd (washed) socks rather than buying new so a real bargain!!

      Delete
  5. What a great idea. I'm going to make this as a present for my relatives baby - I know she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see a pic when they are finished :0)

      Delete
  6. This is a fab idea, I've pinned it to make for the baby. I'm popping over from the parenting pin it party xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Tinnie has not stopped playing with them all week. She will love them Susan!!

      Delete
  7. Fab idea. I have a ton of odd socks in my house and have never thought of using them for a sensory activity. Hopping over from parenting pin it party x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this! I've so many odd socks - will be trying this next week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic I am going to try this! Great idea. Have read this on the Monday Pin It Party. I'm Emily Tealady on Pinterest x

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I did try keeping pairs of socks together in the beginning but now my first is a toddler and leaving his socks everywhere the wheels have really come off the wagon. Odd sock a plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh, great idea with the herb to add another sense to the activity. I made baby socks filled with rice into the shape of fish for a bean bag game a year ago. Now, I can re-use them as a sensory activity for my little ones in my daycare! I pinned it to my toddler/baby board. Visiting from the Monday Parenting Pin It Party. http://pinterest.com/howtorundaycare/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clever idea! Both kids feet are growing at a pace and baby girl is now putting all sorts in her mouth. I must try this. Thanks for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is brilliant! My Miss K will adore this. Thank you for sharing it at the Kids CoOp. So thrilled to be featuring this post as part of my toys for babies roundup. xo Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it Pauline and thank you so much for featuring :0)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness, I love these, Adele! Squeezing, crunching and lovely scents - so many lovely sensory aspects to this. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...