Friday 6 September 2013

5 of our Favourite Books and Activities for Autumn

Autumn is a beautiful time of year filled with so many things for little children to discover and explore. Lately I started a collect of books to cover the children's interests and themes we might be covering for Childminding. With Autumn just around the corner I have built a small collection of books to cover the season. I love the idea of having stories to support your topics. My children love to sit and look at books when they need a little rest or quite time. 

This is a round up of the stories we choose:


I love the Percy the Park Keeper collection and I actually spotted this one among the stories I already owned. We read the story this week and when the children spotted acorn's on the school run they instantly recalled the story.


Activity: Collect roughly 15-20 and use them for some acorn rolling art. Last year we used conkers and autumn inspired colours to do conker rolling art.


A couple of factual books also made it into the collection as P love's non fiction and they are great if we make up a topic table. 

Activity: Take the children to collect signs of  Autumn. Then bring them home and study them under a magnifying glass. The children can the use what they have observed to make beautiful water colour pictures to display.


This is one of my favourite in the collection. With beautiful pictures the book discusses the changes in Autumn and also has some lovely ideas on activities to do with leaves. 


Activity: Whether its rubbing with crayons or printing with leaves your little ones with love to see the patterns that appear on the paper. 


I first heard this story at a local book shop called Just Imagine. The children loved playing an active part in the story and it gave me the idea to purchase the book and make a story sack for the following year. This story would be a great base for many activities. 

Activity: If you don't fancy making a story sack you could get your children cooking in the kitchen. We made some gorgeous pumpkin soup last Halloween.


I love the pretty pictures in this book and its a lovely autumn read. My three love listening to this one at bed time and it has a lovely ending too. 

Activity: Try an activity of rolling acorns down a guttering pipe and trying to catch them at the other end. I've seen this a lot with cars but it would be great fun with acorns too.

All the books I have mentioned can be found on Amazon. Do you have a favourite autumn book? I would love to hear what they are.

1 comment:

  1. Autumn is a lovely time for crafting isn't it ? Love all the colours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...